Saturday, July 18, 2009

Hemptead Watermelon Festival













My love of watermelons is no secret. Let the record now show that this love does not extend to any watermelon festival...especially those held in Texas in any month that has an average temperature of 100 degrees.
Unsuspecting as I was, I packed up my three little watermelon eaters and we drove down to my parents' house as it is only 1/2 hour away from said watermelon festival. Some of our Austin friends came along for the joyous experience. We awoke early and had a hurried breakfast so as not to miss all of the festivities. We arrived around 10 and the temperature was no less than 95 degrees (unless you happened to be in the shade in front of one of those huge outdoor fans...which we weren't). So, we went for the opening ceremonies (were we found a shade tree)...which really means that they are going to let the scouts put up the flags and then we'll watch to see who would be crowned 2009/2010 Watermelon Little Miss, Watermelon Junior Miss, Watermelon Court, Watermelon Little Prince, Watermelon Queen, etc...you get the picture. (I don't get pageants...although highly entertaining...and I certainly don't get these things)
So then we ventured out into the blistering heat to find the petting zoo. Now, this town is not quaint with tree-lined streets...so we were walking in temps. well over 100. I felt frantic and wasn't sure we would make it alive (not to mention the fact that I had Eme stripped down like a white trash baby in just her diaper, convinced that her insides were turning into smoked sausages). After petting many cute little animals (including a couple kangaroos...impressive, even to me) we headed for the only place we could see that promised relief...McDonalds! Yes, I have NEVER been so happy to see the Golden Arches in my life.
I believe this was the first time my Dad has ever eaten at McDonalds...they are right up there on his list with WalMart...so you know the situation must have been dire. We stayed in Micky D's for over an hour, savoring every moment of air-conditioned bliss and decided we needed to hurry if we were going to make the Watermelon judging and auction.
Now, I'm pretty much finished with the story except to say that we had to confiscate my Dad's paddle after he dropped over $300 on watermelons (he did get a couple of the first-in-class watermelons, including the beauty of a black diamond pictured above).

3 comments:

Eric and Amy said...

Texas is way too hot! How we make it through these kind of events with our kids in tow is beyond me! Bravo!

Lailani Ali said...

I ended up stepping outside during a recent flight connection at Houston airport. It was sweltering and the heat nearly knocked the wind out of me. At 6:30am. Wow.

swearingen said...

My daughter shares your love of watermelon. Hopefully you two can share some in the near future! And hopefully you can recommend some great places to go that are air conditioned!