Saturday, December 12, 2009

Our Little Runner


M loves to run. He always wants to race. When he was younger and we had preschool at our house, he'd beg his friends to race him over and over and over. Usually kids are happy to do a few loops around the couch or the backyard, but this is different. Four or five laps later, most are ready for a rest and/or don't want to race anymore. But not M...he could go on forever.
Since he started school, on our way home from school he asks to be dropped off at the end of the street by the mailbox because he wants to run home.

Don't get me wrong, we LOVE that he likes to run and totally encourage it, so I was really excited when I got a notice from school that there was a district-wide cross country race. The race was broken up by ages and gender and was 1 kilometer. I know that doesn't seem that far...but to a 5 year old used to running home from the mailbox, I knew it might be a little daunting. So, I mentioned the race (almost in passing) and said that he could do it if he wanted. He thought for a moment and said that he would think about it (totally his father's child...analyzing already). After about a week, he decided that he wanted to do it and even chose the race over going to Sea World.

On "race day" I was totally nervous. I felt the same as I feel before one of my races. I tried to act calm and not project my feelings on him. He was so cute. Before the race, he got into the holding area with all the other 5 yr old boys and "warmed up" by doing jumping jacks and some stretches (maybe they do that in PE at school...I wasn't sure what he would do when the announcer told them to warm up). Then, the gun sounded and he was off. He did such a good job and ran the whole way. I couldn't have been more proud if he was in the Olympics. Who knows if he will continue to run...but it doesn't really matter. It was fun to see him doing something that he loves!

6 comments:

Amber said...

I think that is so cool. It seems totally bizarre to me that a kid so young has that kind of drive. That must just be my lazy self talking. But hey! Encourage him!

Bassett said...

Andrea, Myah ran her first track season in the fall and I was so excited and nervous for her races I almost cried everytime. I just remember that feeling so well! I felt like my dad when he used to watch me run. We NEVER had a good video of my races because he was watching the race instead of looking through the lens to film:)

HOORAY for McKay! Keep up the good work!

Lizzie said...

Did you back date all of this?? I am so confused. After you came last fall, I checked your blog daily for a couple of months and it was always the same beach picture of you and your sisters, and now there is a ton. I'm loving it. I love you so much and miss you.

McKay's race....cracks me up. I love it. I would be so happy if one of my kids wanted to do that.

Thank you so much for coming out. It was so good seeing you and I wish we still lived next door to each other. Honestly, my whole life would be be on a higher plane. Can you imagine? Stay-at-home mom's next door?

I need to call you....what ever happened with the job hunt?

Sheryl said...

Run Mackay run!!! (using the "Jenny" voice from Forrest Gump.) Mackay, I KNOW that you are a fast runner. I loved the video. Way to race across that finish line. You are a winner!!!

Dani said...

So cute. Glad you're finally posting again :). I really miss you, when will you come to Denver?

Andrea said...

I thought you were talking about my son that whole post! If you ever come out here again, please bring the kids and hang out with me! I would love it, and better yet, my kids would love it!